Tuesday, 13 April 2010

Home again, but not all safe and sound


Hi All, hope everyone had a lovely Easter and some well-deserved time off!
Las Vegas was great - full of bizarre people, free drinks & incredible sights - I've posted a few holiday snaps on my Flickr, but I won't bore you with them here...except for this one, because everything about it makes me happy:

***yes, it is made of jelly beans!***

While the days are getting longer and I'm spending more time outdoors, I've really fallen behind on my knitting and started doing, well, outdoorsy things! Walking the dog, hanging up washing on the line, cleaning my car - all things I dread/wouldn't dream of doing in the cold!

However today my to-do list was put into perspective...today a close friend at work was diagnosed with stage 4 Melanoma, which has completely bowled us all over. Our office is a pretty chatty one, with lots of cakes, magazines and laughter, but today we fell silent. She's 35, newly-wed and just the cheeriest person I know...

So in an effort to bring everyone together with some focus, out came the knitting! We've agreed to each knit an 8x8 square (there's around 7 of us who can knit) and see how we go from there, probably doing another 2 or 3 each. Our initial thought was a hat for her 18 weeks of Chemotherapy starting from May, but as Chemo patients can get quite cold during treatment, we're working together to make a blanket first.

So if any of you have any nice square patterns you'd like to suggest, they'd be greatly appreciated! We vary in proficiency from basic garter stitch to intermediate - I've had a trawl on Ravelry, but if anyone has any favourites I'd love some help!

Thanks in advance...

A Xxx

6 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your friend, and what a lovely thing you're planning to do for her. The pattern for my knitted facecloth came from http://krisknits.blogspot.com - she has lots of free patterns as well as sets you can buy and, although they're intended to be face or dish cloths, they could quite easily be sewn into a blanket. Even better, they're all just knit or purl stitches, so pretty easy! Hope that might be of some help.
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, once you've decided on what you're doing let me know. I love knitting and would be happy to do some squares for you. Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a great vacation.. that picture is wonderful!!

    Blessings-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend; she's mighty lucky to have such an awesome support group. Those Jelly Beans sure do make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your friend.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I knew how to knit! I'm sure the results will bring joy to your friend. My dad's temperature became totally messed up after radiation, and he's always cold. He lives with lots of blankets around. Best wishes, and thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and check out my blog! I really appreciate receiving comments, and every single one makes me smile when it pops up in my inbox!